College Writing @

Proof marks and Correction Symbols

Most writing standards are set by professional organizations, publishing houses, and "acknowledged authorities" (ex., The New Fowler's, edited by R.W. Burchfield and published by the Clarendon press). College students also have various handbooks and professionals at least scan corporate style guides and follow manuscript submission guidelines. You will need a handbook; make it a recent one.

English composition students follow standards set in college composition handbooks..

Some of the correction symbols that I  frequently use are standard marks of proofreading or line editing found in a college desk dictionary.   Others I have listed below.  If you cannot understand the correction or usage symbols, check a handbook. You can loose grade points if you make these errors.


Doc--document, documentation incomplete.
X--error here, error in this line.
O--error here.
Ill Pro--illustration procedures


Back to Home